Villa san Giacomo is a university college that expects members to participate in moments of prayer, spiritual development and social activities alongside fulfilling their academic requirements.
We are pleased to accept applications from:
- Young men and women of the Christian faith
- At the beginning or mid-way through their university career
- Preferably between 18 and 23 years old
- Keen to share in the life of Villa san Giacomo
- Possibly carrying a letter of recommendation from their parish priest or minister
- Prepared to undertake an interview with the director (by email appointment) either face-to-face or by Skype
- Prepared to commit – in the event of coming from abroad – to return to their home country in pursuit of their profession.
The assignment of the place refers to an academic year. In terms of admission, however, preference is given to existing community members providing they have abided by the norms of our community.
Admitted students accept all the conditions and rules of Villa san Giacomo, both in letter and in the spirit of goodwill in which they are set. They agree to adhere to Christian principles of morality and study. Those who fail to abide by the conditions and rules or demonstrate that they do not meet the expected standards of commitment to the community can have their place removed. This can be done at any time without the student being able to make any claim for damages. The dismissal will be decided, in a definitive judgment, without possibility of appeal, by the leadership of Villa san Giacomo, following a hearing the academic-disciplinary committee.
- Community life begins on October 1 and ends on June 30, with Christmas and Easter holidays. Arrangements for regular visits to the family or stays at Villa san Giacomo throughout the year are usually stated at the time of admission. Any absence outside agreed times of attendance must be explained and agreed.
- Students usually stay in single rooms with a bathroom and air conditioning.
- The house provides for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Every week, residents will note on a sheet their absence during mealtime.
- The Villa offers a laundry, gym, WIFI, library and some study areas. We facilitate the learning of second languages with internal courses based on the needs of residents.
- Students agree to attend their lessons and undertake their course requirements, to maintain serious and continuous study, to regularly carry out their required examinations and to periodically assess their results.
- All residents attend the community Mass on Monday (19.30), dinner (20.00) and scheduled evening meetings (one or two per week). Any exceptions are agreed upon with the director.
- Residents should be in the community by 24.00 from Sunday to Thursday and by 02.00 on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Communal living involves cleanliness, hygiene, respect for the shared environment and how it is used. In the corridors of the living areas we are committed to keeping silence after 22.30.
- Everybody is expected to be available for small tasks within the house for the benefit of the whole community.
- Males and females occupy separate corridors and are not allowed access to the rooms of the opposite sex, be they partners, friends or colleagues.
- Guests may not have access to the residents’ rooms. The overnight stay of non-residents is subject to the express permission of the director.
- Periodically the house hosts conferences, meetings and groups, who we expect residents to treat with courtesy.
- Smoking is prohibited throughout the house.
- It is forbidden by the law to use stoves in rooms.
- Management does not take any responsibility for the personal items and valuables stored in rooms.
- It is forbidden to duplicate or give a third party access to Villa keys.